Starting your CPD Journey with the Irish Computer Society
The Irish Computer Society Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programme is aligned with European objectives around e-competency with IT. CPD is a points-based system that allows you to track, record and share your achievements with your peers and fellow professionals. Along with the e-competence framework, it allows someone to track their career progress and match their needs with those of their organisation.
CPD is about managing your own learning and career progression to deliver optimum results to clients and other business functions. It encompasses activities such as attending certified training, conferences and informal training as well as mentoring, shadowing and volunteer activities which support the profession. Below is our step-by-step guide on getting started.
Starting your CPD Journey
- When you attend a CPD accredited event your host/ tutor will present you with a QR code.
- Once you scan this code - any QR scanner app will do - if you are an ICS member an email will be sent to ICS to automatically add this activity to your CPD profile. If scanning doesn't work, you can email the code supplied in the subject line to email@example.com.
- Even if you are not an ICS member, you are welcome to scan the code or send an email to acknowledge your attendance. After a short period, you will receive an email inviting you to a free, three-month membership of ICS where you can avail of discounts on events and use the online CPD system to record and track CPD activities.
- As an ICS member, you can view your CPD profile by going to www.ics.ie and logging in through the Members Sign In area.
- As a non-member, once you email firstname.lastname@example.org with the CPD event code, you will receive an email to avail of the three-month offer of ICS membership.
- After signing in, you can view your CPD record in the Welcome area. ICS-led events will be added automatically, but the "Add CPD activity" button can be used to add something manually in the four categories (Formal, Informal, Non-Formal, Contribution).
Currently, the Irish Computer Society has almost 10,000 members representing over 1,000 organisations, most of whom have adopted our CPD scheme. The long-term goal is to standardise the competencies of the IT profession at a European level, strengthening the profession and helping it to grow.
For more information on the CPD system, please visit www.ics.ie/cpd. If you have any questions about ICS membership or the CPD system please contact email@example.com.