The History of HISI
Over the past thirty years, Healthcare Informatics has developed from a narrow cross-disciplinary interest to a discipline in its own right.
- More and more universities across the world have established Departments of Informatics within their Medical Faculties
- and in Ireland too we have a growing number of full-time Healthcare Informatics professionals, in hospitals, on health boards, in universities and in service companies.
The Medical Specialist Group of the ICS (1976-96)
From 1976 to 1996, Healthcare Informatics interests in the Republic of Ireland were represented by the Medical Specialist Group of the ICS. This group:
- Represented Ireland at the European Federation for Medical Informatics (EFMI) and the International Medical Informatics Association (IMIA).
- Hosted the European Medical Informatics conference, MIE 82, and
- Was associated with the IMIA Working Group 8 international symposium on Nursing Informatics held in Dublin in 1988.
The Formation of HISI (1996)
To broaden the base of membership and increase the range of services offered, the members of the Medical Specialist Group formed a new society in May 1996: the Healthcare Informatics Society of Ireland (Cumann Ríomheolais Sláinte).
The Healthcare Informatics Society of Ireland was inaugurated formally at its First Annual Conference in the Burlington Hotel, Dublin, on Thursday 10th October 1996.